Sunday, February 15, 2009

On a Clear Day

This was my first stop on doing a lot of my usual shopping chores. This is the view east looking at the bay and the lake on the other side. I finally got to the lake when the sun was out and what a difference in wildlife -- stunning difference! There were no oldsquaws or scaups anywhere around and that is mostly what I saw at dusk last week. There were, however, the mergansers and I think some Goldeneyes off in the distance. It was hard to tell even with the telephoto.

These were taken with telephoto lens as the birds were so far away, there was no way I could see what they were. Looking at my bird books, I think they are common mergansers in front. I think I also saw some Goldeneyes but they would let you get within 100 yards. Don't know how they even saw me on the pier, they were so far out.


The swans were being fed by local visitors. I suspect this is not a good idea and there were tons of the swans, Canada geese and pigeons which would walk right up to you. So this was taken up front and personal with the swans.


I loved this very colorful mallard sitting on the rocks. He just seemed to be begging to have his picture taken. Okay, a mallard but a pretty boy mallard! He looks much more iridescent in the sunlight, doesn't he!

1 comment:

Priscilla Kibbee said...

That duck would make a great quilt.