Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Warm Wednesday and the Last of the Snow Dyeing Until More Snow


This is the piece that I finished today which I describe below and show some more detail.






Well, the weather is certainly warmer -- in fact we have a lot of fog coming off the remaining snow. Amazingly enough, the frozen top layer of snow is keeping the snow underneath from melting and it is about the right consistancy for more dyeing. The next three days are filled with time away from home.

Yesterday, I actually got up extra EARLY so I could scoop up snow before it melted and get in another piece. And today I managed to find some more snow and do another!! The results are rather unpredictable to say the least -- yesterday I was going for purple with some blue but threw in yellow at the end so really have no purple and very little brown (thought that yellow would meet the purple) but lots of blue and green with some pink areas that look like large dahlias.


Today, I restrained myself and just went for mostly blues and threw on navy, turquoise and intense blue and just a teense of yellow. I did get mostly blues and may tone down the navy the next time or add a lot more yellow for greens! Because I am starting with just 5% solutions, I am not getting dark darks like I sometimes do when using the 10% solutions. I am unendingly fascinated with how the colors are moving around and bouncing and layering and fading in and out. It is just so different from the usual scrunching low water immersion. Of course there is less control of the outcome as well!!
The good news is that they are predicting snow again tomorrow so I can replenish my twindling supply without having to resort to the snow at Walmarts... (Did I just say good news and snow in the same sentence?)

This is a closeup of the second half of the above piece. This piece was about two yards in length.

1 comment:

Judi said...

I love your snowdyed pieces, when you nuke your pieces do you let them sit and cool for awhile before washing or start the wash out immediately?